My ‘summer project‘ has now been demoted to just a ‘random project.’ Although I still intend on finishing it at some point, it’s clearly become far too delayed to call it a summer project anymore. I got overly distracted throughout the summer by family, fun, non-fun, and other projects. Projects that I’ll explain a bit here…
I’ve managed to get my little test server all configured for each path. This little task involved configuring mod_ruby, mod_perl, mod_python on top of my already standard php. I also had to fire up mod_proxy to mask the jsp directory (which is really going to an apache tomcat server – another box on my network).
You can view the progress as I start building. Progress is still fairly slow at this moment. But now that all the frameworks are in place and my apache ninja skills have been revived I should be able to kick it up a notch.
I’ve also made a slight change in how I’ll be storing the images in the database. I’m going to just be doing a plain old base64 encode of the binary data. I’d much rather just store binary data in the database as a central repository for all paths, but there appears to be some issues with this and the fact that the entire django community hates binary data in a database. So I’m not going to fight it or waste any more time on it.
You’ll find a better description about Moments Like Today over on Margaret’s blog. But, it’s another one of my summer time projects. If you feel you’re interested, join the facebook group and/or the vimeo group and prepare to have some fun.
In order to attack this project, I’ll be using PHP, Zend Framework, and a touch of magic to use Vimeo’s API. For the photo portion of the site, I’ll likely avoid using PHP’s internal graphic tools (for quality purposes) and pull out some trickery with ImageMagick.
As I whipped through the tutorial on getting started with Django I made some mental notes on things I thought were interesting and things I thought weren’t so interesting. I have a feeling I’ll be saying similar things about Ruby on Rails…
I’m still chugging along with the common elements on the project.
So, for the basics of what I have decided to do: Yep, it’s an image gallery. It’s not too exciting and definitely nothing original. There’ll be a basic authentication system (login/logout) with web based uploading and tagging. That’s pretty much it. The images that get uploaded will be stored in the database itself as a nice central location for all my different variants to get the data from.
As far as the initial setup goes, I’ve managed to get PostgreSQL installed, running, and I’ve even created the necessary tables for all that I need. Yeah, that part was pretty simple. But I can’t say it happened without learning something. I’ve noticed that something I took for granted with MySQL wasn’t available right away for my installation of PostgreSQL.
Using my shiny new upgraded Ubuntu 9.04, I’ve gotten around to installing PostgreSQL.
Note: this is not a tutorial.
The installation was simple, as are most installations with Ubuntu. The initial “get going” was a bit odd for PostgreSQL though. The one thing you have to remember when initially trying to get things going is this…